Advertisement

Mochi Recipes for gluten-free snacking

topic posted Fri, January 20, 2006 - 1:47 AM by  Dorsie
Share/Save/Bookmark
Per request, a Chocolate Mochi "Candy" recipe, from Koda Farms Mochiko Sweet Rice flour, www.kodafarms.com, as well as my own suggested variations.

Cocoa Mochi

Start with a measuring cup, a wooden spoon, and a quart saucepan.

2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Water
6 teaspoons powdered unsweetened cocoa

Mix the sugar and cocoa in the saucepan, add 1 cup of water, put it on the heat to dissolve the sugar, and stir every few minutes. Keep warm.

In the next step, you need a liquid measuring cup, a large microwave-safe bowl, hotpads and a large wooden spoon or heat proof spatula for stirring.

1 15 oz box Mochiko Rice Flour
3 Cups Water

Mix the Mochiko rice flour and water in a *large* microwave safe glass bowl until smooth. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes on full power. Remove from microwave using hotpads and stir well with a wooden or metal spoon.

Put the mixture back in the microwave oven, cook for another 5 minutes on full power. Using hotpads, remove to a heat-proof surface and stir thoroughly. Add the cocoa syrup you made in step one and stir until thoroughly blended. (Might need a mixer for this step!)

Jelly roll pan, 9" by 13" casserole, or large cookie sheet with raised sides
Butter/coconut oil

While the mochi is cooking, use butter or coconut oil to grease a jelly roll pan, 9" by 13" casserole, or large cookie sheet with raised sides. I suggest placing a damp towel under the pan to keep it from sliding during the next step.

Butter a silicon or rubber spatula, too. When the mochi and cocoa are thoroughly blended, use the greased spatula to help transfer the cocoa mochi mixture from the bowl into the greased pan. (I recommend having an extra pair of hands in the kitchen for this step!)

Let the mixture cool until firm - a couple of hours, at least.

While it's cooling, mix 1/2 to 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, Splenda, or whatever powdered sweetener you prefer. When the mochi mixture is completely cooled, you'll dust it with some of this cocoa powder mixture. Dust a second cookie sheet or cutting board with a few teaspoons more of the cocoa powder mixture.

Use a buttered pancake turner to loosen the edges of the cooled cocoa mochi, all the way around the pan, lifting slightly at the ends. Next, invert the pan over the powdered surface. Keep loosening the edges of the mochi mix with the pancake turner until it slides out onto the dusted surface. The mochi mix will now be upside down. Add more cocoa powder to the cocoa mochi's exposed surface and edges until it's well covered.

Cut the mochi into squares, 1" small or smaller-I suggest 1/2". Using a greased or powdered blade will work best, as mochi can be sticky. My "bash and chop" worked well for this purpose-between cuts, I'd dust the edges in cocoa powder again.

Put ten to twenty of the mochi squares in a ziploc bag with more of the cocoa powder mix, and zip the bag closed. Shake until well-dusted, and remove them using tongs or a slotted spoon. Transfer the mochi squares into a tin or plastic container lined with parchment or wax paper dusted with cocoa powder. After you have a single layer of mochi pieces in the tin, add another layer of parchment or waxed paper, and repeat the process until all the mochi is cut and dusted with cocoa. You may need a very large cookie tin or two medium cookie tins to fit it all!

Store the mochi squares in the airtight container in a refrigerator. Take some out of the fridge a couple hours ahead of the time you want to eat them-they're best at room temperature. You may need to dust them again before eating. They go very well with hot tea, creamy cheeses, fruit, nuts, even ice cream.

Variations I'm experimenting with that you might also enjoy:

Ginger Cocoa Mochi: Dice or grate tiny bits of fresh or candied ginger, and add to the cocoa syrup mixture. I suggest using 2-4 teaspoons of fresh ginger or 3-4 large pieces of candied ginger for starters.

Coconut Chocolate Mochi:
Stir coconut flakes into the cooked mochi when you add the cocoa syrup mixture.

Nutty Cocoa Mochi:
Dice toasted almond slices or toasted cashews and add to the final cocoa dusting step.

Rich Mocha Mochi:
Add 1-2 tsp vanilla extract and 4-8 teaspoons instant coffee powder to the cocoa syrup mixture.

Dorsie Hathaway
aka Ripleys_Cat
posted by:
Dorsie
Portland
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

One thing I've enjoyed doing with mochi as a treat , too-----especially the Grainaissance date nut version is dipping it in a ghee /rice syrup concoction or perhaps honey, maple syrup [and you could use butter instead of ghee] if you don't like rice syrup....This is super easy! I heat the rice syrup just a little then add ghee after of course baking the datenut mochi----dip the squares into or drinch them with the syrup. Gooood stuff!

Have you ever tried Grainaissance's pizza mochi----that's quite good too. *S*

Recent topics in "Gluten-Free Eaters"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
babycakes nyc gf bakery Lori 3 January 2, 2013
A Yeast, Gluten, and Dairy Free Bread Recipe For Sufferers of ... Unsubscribed 0 July 27, 2011
Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerant ***Candace*** 12 October 4, 2010